Dear Scout Post Co-ordinators,
Thank you all who attended the meeting the other week. As I said at the time, we made the decision this year that Scout Post 2021 will not happen. Some reasons for this decision were as follows:
- 12 areas we didn’t have cover for, or Groups didn’t feel comfortable that they could cover it under current COVID social distance.
- Possible restrictions on meeting up and working in groups could undermine the scheme and therefore could damage the reputation of Scout Post.
- A number of members raised concerns over outlets and sales via youth members.
Support with possible income in 2021
As we did last year, we have set up an online fund-raising page to support all Groups in the Area. Different to last year, we WILL ONLY give money to Groups that have been identified in the message part of the fund-raising page. All monies donated, that don’t have a Group specified to it, will be donated to Jubilee Campsite. To raise money this way you will need to:
- Share the details of the giving page with your Group membership: https://localgiving.org/appeal/Scoutpost2021/ Remind them to add the Group they are to the message box (As per the picture below)
- Share on social media the Area posts or create your own and get people to share.
- Print off the poster/leaflets produced by the Area and ask your outlets from previous years to display.
- Request the Area to print A3, A4 posters and A5 flyers to be sent to you. Deadline for orders 12th November.
- Some Groups are getting their young people to design a card to deliver to their normal area to tell people they are thinking of them this Christmas and are including the giving page details.
- I am sure your Group can produce many other ways to share good will this Christmas and remind people that Scouts are active in their area.
Scout Post 2022
We need to rebuild Scout Post in 2022 as a few areas need new Groups or organisations to cover. We need to start looking to fill these areas now so that we are ready for Scout Post 2022 by Summer next year. The areas not covered are:
- Peterston Super Ely
- St Athans
- St Mellons
These are the areas we know about at this stage.
To make the scheme a success we need us all to use our networks and heads to produce ways to develop Scout Post.
The key dates for 2022 post are:
- 1st July – Groups to complete online form with commitment to 2022 Scout Post and the number of stamps and posters required
- 31st August – Outlets online form to be completed
- 1st October – System update of directories to be completed
- 15th October – Stamps issued
- 5th December – Last post
- 3rd to 9th December – Central sort
- 19th December – Last delivery
- 10th February 2023 – Wash up meeting.
Developing Scout Post
Over the next 12 months Area will: continue to plan and develop for Scout Post, look for sponsors, continue developing software to support with the running of Scout Post, recruit more members to the central team and look for groups or organisations to take on the areas not currently covered.
I know this is a little disappointing as we have run Scout Post in Cardiff and Vale for over 35 years, but we need to ensure we have the coverage to run the scheme and that from the public point of view, a Scout can be trusted in terms of Scout Post, making sure they get their Christmas cards. Please keep safe and if you have any questions, concerns or need support with the online giving, do not hesitate to get in touch with me via email Julian.Jordan@CardiffandValeScouts.org.uk or telephone 0333 301 1907 (options 3).
Yours in Scouting